If you are injured in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, the at-fault party’s insurance company will not offer to pay your out-of-pocket expenses. However, these damages can be included in a personal injury settlement.
Documenting Out-of-Pocket Costs for a Car Accident Claim
The out-of-pocket costs you will incur as a result of your car accident depend on your injuries, as well as your daily activities. However, some of the most common out-of-pocket expenses include:
- Insurance co-pays and deductibles
- Childcare for your young children, if you are unable to care for them appropriately or take them with you to medical appointments
- Transportation to medical appointments
- Parking fees related to medical appointments
- Hotel stays for appointments with specialists or providers who are a significant distance from your home
- Assistance with cleaning and other household tasks you can’t handle due to your injuries
- An aide for personal grooming and showering
You should carefully document any out-of-pocket expenses you incur due to the accident injury. Write down the date for each expense, and keep copies of bills, invoices, and receipts that support your claim. Bank or credit card statements can also be helpful in documenting your expenses.
Compensation for Future Out-of-Pocket Expenses
If your car accident injuries have left you with a permanent disability, there may be future out-of-pocket costs related to the accident that you can reasonably expect to incur. For example, if you are now in a wheelchair due to your injuries, you would be expected to need ramps and other accessibility modifications for your home, as well as vehicle modifications and transportation assistance.
An expert witness familiar with your accident-related disability can provide testimony regarding your anticipated future out-of-pocket expenses, as well as your future loss of earning potential and future medical costs.
Have You Been Injured In A Louisiana Car Accident?
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Alexandria office directly at 318.541.8188 to schedule your free consultation.