Michael S. KochWe Service Alexandria and the Entire State of Louisiana
Louisiana Personal Injury Lawyer
Michael S. Koch – Personal Injury Attorney
Michael Koch (pronounced Cook) was born in Houston, TX and grew up in Baton Rouge, LA. As a young student, he played football and was on the LSU Bengals swim team. Mike and his father moved to Bismark, ND when Mike was in high school, and he continued to play football and swim competitively. He also played cello from 4th – 12th grade and was the only football player at his high school that was also in Orchestra. Mike graduated high school in 1980 and went on to complete his undergraduate studies at the University of North Dakota. He spent his summers working for Global Pipelines off the Louisiana coast, where he worked on the pipe-laying barge GP 35 before being promoted to rigger. In the winter, he shoveled snow in North Dakota to pay for college.
Mike graduated Cum Laude from Southern University Law Center in 1989. Following graduation, he joined Neblett, Beard and Arsenault. His primary area of practice is representing “everyday people” who were injured as a result of the carelessness of someone else. Martindale-Hubbell, an organization that provides a review of attorneys that is recognized world-wide, has acknowledged Mike’s professional ethics and legal ability by awarding him an “AV” rating since 2011. An “AV” rating is the highest rating for both ability and ethics an individual attorney can receive.
Mike practices in City, State and Federal Court and has been involved in a wide variety of serious injury claims including select slip and falls, trip and falls, car accidents, trucking accidents, boating accidents, motorcycle accidents, wrongful death, product liability, offshore, defective roads, maritime, police brutality, nursing home negligence, and medical malpractice. In addition, Mike has handled minor criminal cases and domestic matters in City and State Courts. He has tried numerous bench and jury trials throughout the State of Louisiana, including cities such as Alexandria, Monroe, Bossier City, Ville Platte, Lafayette, Leesville, Lake Charles, Opelousas, Breaux Bridge, Jennings, Baton Rouge, Pineville, New Orleans, Shreveport, and Thibodeaux.
When asked why he became an attorney Mike responded, “I was called to be a lawyer to help resolve disputes and to help others who cannot help themselves.” Mike chose personal injury law because he worked for an excellent lawyer in the same practice area in law school. He saw how that attorney could help those who could not help themselves, and Mike realized he too could help folks right wrongs that have been done to them. He said, “I was lucky to be hired on with one of the most preeminent personal injury law firms in the country, Neblett, beard and Arsenault.” He considers it a great fit and has been working at the firm for over 30 years.
Mr. Koch is married to Patricia Koch, a District Judge for the 9th Judicial District Court in Alexandria. Together they have three sons, with whom Mike stays actively involved by attending their numerous sporting events and seeing to their educations, both academic and spiritual. Their oldest son Kyle is a graduate from LSU with a degree in Environmental Engineering and is now in his second year of law school at Loyola University in New Orleans. Cory and Kevin are both currently students at LSU. In his free time, Mike enjoys hiking and attending as many sporting events as he can, including LSU, Saints, and his sons’ high school games. Mike has been going to LSU games since he was four years old, and as a father it brings him such joy to see his boys love going to LSU games has much as he does.
Mike serves his community in many capacities. He has recently served as president of the Bolton High School Booster Club and as a representative of the Bear PAC. He recently completed his 11th year of participation in the Upward Basketball League where he served as a coach and referee. He routinely volunteers as a Judge for high school speech and debate tournaments and was asked to serve as a presiding judge in the 2010 Louisiana State High School Mock Trial competition.
You can also find Mike lecturing to groups of school children about trials, being a lawyer, and simply trying to be the best they can be during monthly field trips to the district courthouse which are sponsored by Neblett, Beard & Arsenault. Mike is a Christian attorney who is a longtime member of Horseshoe Drive United Methodist Church where he serves in a leadership capacity. He has served on various committees within the church including Chairman of PPR, Chairman of Trustees, and Finance. He is also an usher and communion helper. Mike has handled over a thousand injury claims and has earned a reputation as a compassionate attorney who puts his clients’ interest first.
- Mike says that if he weren’t an attorney, he would want to be a teacher and a football and basketball coach.
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- Louisiana State Courts, 1989
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1989
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 1989
- American Red Cross, 1992-1998
- Member Since: 1992-1998
- Board of Directors
- Central Louisiana Pro Bono Project
- Member Since: 1995, 1997, 1998
- Chairperson “Don’t Gamble on Your CLE”
- Louisiana Gumbo, Inc.
- Member Since: 1994-2000
- Board of Directors
- Upward Basketball League
- Served as Coach and Referee Since: 2000
- Bolton High School Boosters
- Active Since: 2009
- Served as Vice President and President
- Served as Bear PAC Representative
- Alexandria Ba Association
- President 2018-2019
- Executive Council
- Other School Involvement
- Volunteer judge for local high school speech and debate tournaments
- Served as a presiding judge in the 2010 Louisiana State High School Mock Trial competition
- Served as the Alexandria High School Mock Trial Coach for 10 years, winning the LA state championship and placing 3rd in nationals in Chicago
Presentations & Seminars
- Young Lawyers, Ethics & Hollywood 2007
- Alexandria Bar Association, Ethics & Hollywood 2006
- Speaker, “LTLA Section”, Southern University Law Center, 2006
- Mock Trial Instructor, Alexandria High School, 1990 – 2000
- Central Louisiana Pro Bono Project “Don’t Gamble on Your CLE”, Chairperson 1995, 1997, 1998
- Speaker, “Legal Research: Knowing When to Start and When to Stop”, 1994
- Adjunct Paralegal Instructor, Northwestern State University, 1990
- Alexandria Bar Association “Three for Free” seminar, moderator and organizer, 2014 – 2016
- Speaker, “A Primer on the Availability of Punitive Damages for Unseaworthiness Claims”, Louisiana State Bar Association 24th Annual Admiralty Symposium 2017
- Speaker “Maritime Practice Tips from the Bench and Trench: Discovery Through Trials and Resolution—Ten Practical Tips to Litigating Maritime Cases”, Louisiana State Bar Association 25th Annual Admiralty Symposium 2018
- Louisiana Association of Justice, Member Since: 1989
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member Since: 1989
- Alexandria Bar Association, Member Since: 1989, Executive Council Member
- Young Lawyers, Executive Member
- J.D., Southern University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana; 1989 Honors: Cum Laude
- B.S., University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota; 1985
- A.A., Bismarck Jr. College, Bismarck, North Dakota; 1982
Truck Accident Results In Life-Changing Injuries
Employee Slips And Falls On Carpet Glue
Man Seriously Injured By Falling Washing Machine
Nurse Fails To Properly Treat Serious Medical Condition
Woman Compensated For Severe Neck Injury After Bus Accident
Denial Of Neck Surgery Reversed After Rear-End Crash
Minor Impact In Rear-End Accident Causes Major Injury
Couple Compensated After Complicated Multi-Car Accident
He treated me like family, he really did.
Thank you for visitng our website. The law offices of Neblett, Beard & Arsenault have been fighting for the rights of injury victims for over 40 years. We service all of Louisiana. Please contact us below to schedule a free consultation. We are available 24/7.