Every year, approximately 200 people are diagnosed with mesothelioma in New York. While the rate of this disease in New York is not increasing at the rate it was in the 1970s and 1980s, it is still continuing to rise, according to the New York State Department of Health.
Mesothelioma is an aggressive form of cancer that is often not diagnosed until it has reached a late stage, and the prognosis is often grim. People with mesothelioma are typically unable to work and face expensive medical treatments in the short amount of time they have to live.
Mesothelioma is almost always caused by asbestos exposure. If you were exposed to asbestos and have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you may have the right to recover damages. The experienced mesothelioma lawyers of Neblett, Beard & Arsenault can investigate your claim, ensure you have access to the resources you need during this difficult time, and fight for your fair settlement.
Your Exposure to Asbestos in New York
Most people who develop mesothelioma were exposed to asbestos fibers at work decades before the cancer is discovered; many others were exposed when loved ones brought home asbestos fibers on their clothing. Many New Yorkers who develop mesothelioma were exposed to asbestos that was used in or on:
Asbestos was widely used in New York construction projects throughout the 20th century because of its insulating and fire-resistant qualities.
Asbestos is heat resistant and a common material used on ships.
Different types of factories, including paper mills, used asbestos in machinery and tools.
Asbestos was commonly used in airports and train stations.
As in other industries, power plants often used asbestos as insulation.
When an older building is destroyed, asbestos can be released into the air. This can happen because of a fire, a demolition, an explosion, or a catastrophe such as what happened at the World Trade Center site on September 11, 2001.
Talc and asbestos are often found together. When the talc is mined, it can disturb the asbestos and expose miners to asbestos.
Asbestos was used in a wide variety of industries from New York City to Niagara Falls and in many cities and small towns throughout the state. Workers, family members of workers, and others may have been exposed to asbestos by the following companies or at the following jobsites:
- Albany Felt Company
- American Standard
- Bendix Corporation (Honeywell)
- Bethlehem Steel Shipyards
- Brooklyn Navy Yard
- Brooklyn Union Gas Company
- Caddell Dry Dock and Repair
- Chrysler Building
- Consolidated Edison Power Plants
- Corning Glass
- Dannskammer Generating Station
- Dresser Rand
- Domino Sugar Plant
- Dunlop Tire and Rubber
- Eastman Kodak facilities
- Empire State Building
- Fort Drum Army Base
- General Electric
- General Motors
- Georgia Pacific locations
- Grumman Aerospace
- IBM locations
- Indian Point Energy Center
- JFK Airport
- Kearny Generating Station
- Kentile Floors
- Knowlton Specialty Papers
- LaGuardia Airport
- LILCO Power Plants
- Madison Square Garden
- New York Piers
- New York State Fair
- New York 34th Street Post Office
- Niagara Mohawk Power Company
- Plattsburgh Air Force Base
- R.T. Vanderbilt Talc Mines
- Roseton Generating Station
- Schaefer Brewing Company
- Spaulding Fibre
- Todd Shipyards
- Tomkins Cove
- Union Carbide Facilities
- U.S. Gypsum Plants
- Vanity Fair Paper Mills
- World Trade Center Site
- Xerox Corporation
- Zonolite Company/ W.R. Grace
New York Mesothelioma Treatment Centers and Doctors
New York has some of the most respected hospitals in the world. Here, you may be able to get the latest treatments for mesothelioma at state-of-the-art facilities. Some of the centers that treat mesothelioma patients include:
- Albert Einstein Cancer Center, New York City
- Hematology and Oncology Associates of Central New York, East Syracuse
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York City
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City
- NYU Langone Medical Center, New York City
- New York Presbyterian Hospital Columbia University Medical Center, New York City
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo
- University of Rochester Medical Center Wilmot Cancer Center, Rochester
Some of the specific New York doctors who treat mesothelioma patients include:
- Dr. John Allendorf, Mineola
- Dr. Shahriyour Andaz, Lynbrook
- Dr. Robert Cerfolio, New York City
- Dr. John Chabot, New York City
- Dr. Jessica Donington, New York City
- Dr. Raja Flores, New York City
- Dr. Michael Kluger, New York City
- Dr. Daniel Labow, New York City
- Dr. Harvey Pass, New York City
- Dr. Stephen Rush, New York City
- Dr. Roman Perez- Soler, Bronx
- Dr. Daniel Sterman, New York City
- Dr. Tracey Weigel, Valhalla
- Dr. Andrea Wolf, New York City
- Dr. Sai Yendamuri, Buffalo
New York Mesothelioma Support Groups
A support group can be very important after a mesothelioma diagnosis. You may find comfort, advice, information, and companionship through any of the following groups:
- Gilda’s Clubs such as those located in New York City, Westchester, and Rochester
- New York Cancer Foundation
- American Cancer Society
- American Lung Society
You may also find support through Facebook groups or other online venues run by organizations such as the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation.
New York Mesothelioma Legal Help
Your time for pursuing a mesothelioma case is governed by the New York Statute of Limitations. In most cases, you have three years to file a personal injury case if you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma. You have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit if your loved one has died from this disease. The time to file a claim begins when you learn of your illness or should have learned about it.
Our mesothelioma lawyers want to help you get the fair recovery you deserve. If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, we will do a full investigation to find out where and when you were exposed to asbestos. Then, we will fight for your fair financial compensation.
We understand that the stress and expense of a lawsuit can be overwhelming, but we don’t want that to stand in your way of justice. If we represent you in a mesothelioma case, we will handle all aspects of your case, and you won’t owe us any legal fees until your claim has been successfully settled. To learn more, please contact us online or call us directly at 318.588.6303 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.