While there's currently no cure for mesothelioma, many forms of treatments are available. But make no mistake: as important as they are, they're also expensive. Medical treatment can help extend your life or improve its quality, but you can’t count on your health insurance or your employer’s goodwill to cover the costs.
Instead, you can become informed, understand the potential healthcare costs, learn how to afford the healthcare services you need.
Why Mesothelioma Medical Treatment is Expensive
You and your doctor should discuss in detail the specific mesothelioma treatments best for you. Together, you may decide you'll benefit from a variety of approaches over the course of your illness.
This list provides a brief overview as to why managing care costs for mesothelioma requires excessive funds:
- Doctors’ appointments. Ongoing doctors’ appointments will likely be necessary for the rest of your life. Even with health insurance, the costs can quickly add up.
- Diagnostic testing. This may include CT scans, PET scans, MRIs, needle biopsies, or thoracoscopies to confirm your mesothelioma diagnosis; determine which type of mesothelioma you have; stage your mesothelioma; evaluate the available treatment options for you.
- Hospitalizations. Whether you're in the hospital for testing or treatment, there'll be significant costs aside from the test or treatment you receive.
- Surgeries. Surgeries such as thoracotomies, lobectomies, and pneumonectomies may be necessary to remove some or all of the mesothelioma. Each surgery may cost thousands.
- Medications. You may require extensive medication to treat your cancer; manage or eliminate any side effects of cancer (or cancer treatment); or and manage your pain. Some medications may be temporary, while others may be important for ongoing care.
- Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy treatments such as pemetrexed, cisplatin, and hyperthermic intraperitoneal may be suggested by your medical team to attack the mesothelioma. The first treatment averages $7,000.
- Radiation. Radiation requires expensive equipment. The total cost of radiation depends on the type of radiation and frequency of treatment. It's not uncommon for it to cost about $2,000 a month.
- Alternative treatments. Treatments such as acupuncture, massage, and chiropractic care may provide you with some relief from your pain. These costs, which vary from $30-$90 per session, may be included in your legal recovery.
- Clinical trials. Typically, all of your expenses are covered if you agree to participate in a clinical trial. If not, some of them may be included in your legal recovery.
- Secondary healthcare problems. Mesothelioma treatments are aggressive and may result in new health problems such as heart issues or hormonal imbalances. The costs for diagnosing and treating these secondary conditions may be significant.
- Related healthcare costs. Too often, we forget about travel and potential lodging costs associated with seeking medical care. It's important to estimate these as well in your financial recovery, especially if you're receiving treatment more than 25 miles from home.
- Palliative care. At some point, your medical care may change from treatment-based care to palliative care. During this stage, the focus is to keep you or your loved one comfortable and maintain the best quality of life.
How to Pay Medical Costs Related to Mesothelioma
Your healthcare costs are an important part of your mesothelioma claim. All of your past, current, and future medical expenses should be included in your settlement or in a court verdict.
However, in order to get fair compensation after a mesothelioma diagnosis, you'll have to prove what your case is worth.
Our experienced mesothelioma lawyers will work hard to gather evidence to achieve this goal. Some
of the evidence we may seek includes:
- Prescription receipts
- Hospital bills
- Doctors’ office bills
- Expert witnesses who can testify about likely future medical costs due to your mesothelioma diagnosis
Medical expenses and other mesothelioma damages are too important to leave to chance. Instead, we encourage you to learn more about your rights and take action to protect them. Get started right now by reading our free report, Understanding Your Rights After a Mesothelioma Diagnosis. You can also contact us online or call us directly at 318.588.6303 to schedule a free consultation.
We'll only be paid if your claim is successful, and you won't have to worry about any upfront legal costs. Instead, you can continue to concentrate on getting the medical care you need while we work on the legal recovery you deserve.