Before you can make an informed decision about whether to pursue a mesothelioma lawsuit, you should know what your potential compensation might be if your case is successful. While each individual case is different, it’s important to understand the possible damages that are compensable if you pursue a legal recovery.
Compensatory and Punitive Damages in Mesothelioma Cases
If you can prove that someone else was responsible for causing your mesothelioma, you have the legal right to recover compensatory damages for your past, current, and future:
- Medical expenses. Mesothelioma often requires extensive treatment. This may include surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, experimental treatments, medications, and palliative care. Transportation and lodging costs may also become necessary when accessing medical care.
- Lost income. Whether you are unable to work at all, you are forced to cut your hours, or you must take a lower paying job, you may be unable to earn the income that you did prior to your mesothelioma diagnosis. Your recovery should include any lost income, including wages, bonuses, benefits, or income from being self-employed.
- Physical pain and emotional suffering. After receiving a diagnosis for mesothelioma, you may be in significant physical and emotional pain. While financial compensation can’t undo your suffering, you may be eligible for compensation for your hardship and anguish through the legal system.
- Other costs. Your costs may increase if you are suffering from mesothelioma. For example, you may need help running errands, cooking meals, taking care of your home, or taking care of yourself. Additionally, you may need to outsource tasks that you once managed yourself such as taking care of your aging parents or a sick spouse.
In some cases, you can also recover for:
- Punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant and to deter other companies from being negligent in the future. The amount of punitive damages is dependent on the egregiousness of the defendant’s actions.
Find Out What Your Case May be Worth
The value of your case is dependent on many factors, including any of the following:
- Your age
- Your medical history
- The number of companies you are suing
- The quality of your evidence
- The quality of your legal arguments
Our experienced mesothelioma attorneys can explain your specific case and what it might be worth. After reviewing your case, we’ll help you make an informed decision about whether pursuing a mesothelioma claim is the right course of action.
Pursuing a mesothelioma lawsuit will not cost you anything up front. Instead, our lawyers will work on a contingency fee basis and only be paid if your claim is successful. Please contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about your rights and potential recovery.