Accidents that occur on highways and interstates often make the local news, but you’re statistically more likely to be involved in a serious car accident while traveling on a local road. Louisiana has 45,000 miles of local roads and only 17,000 miles of state roads.
Local Roads Pose Unique Hazards
There are many reasons why local roads can be hot spots for traffic accidents. For example:
- They tend to have more curves or blind spots compared to major roadways.
- There are few, if any, traffic lights or signs.
- Lighting is either minimal or nonexistent at night.
- People are more inclined to engage in unsafe driving behavior such as speeding or driving under the influence when they don’t think law enforcement will be watching.
- People often mistakenly perceive local roads as safer than highways or interstates and are more prone to distracted driving as a result.
- Slow-moving tractors or other farm vehicles may be using these roads.
- You’re more likely to encounter wildlife while driving on a rural road.
- Maintenance may not be as high of a priority on a local road when compared to a highway or interstate.
Protecting Your Right to Compensation
If you’ve been injured in an accident on a local road, Louisiana law allows you to sue for damages via a personal injury claim. This includes:
- Medical expenses, including future medical needs if you’ve been left permanently disabled
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential, if applicable
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage related to the accident
The state’s statute of limitations typically gives you one year to file your claim, but it’s best to speak to an attorney about your rights as soon as possible. Valuable evidence needed to establish liability will become more difficult to locate as time passes.
Have You Been Injured In A Louisiana Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced car accident attorney as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Alexandria office directly at 318.541.8188 to schedule your free consultation.